Firstly I’d just like to say how grateful we are to everyone who has signed the petition so far – not only that but the comments left have been so encouraging – thank you so much!
For those of you who haven’t come across our story, we’re parents to William who was diagnosed with a high grade brain tumour in early 2014 when he was just 18 months old. He went through all the treatments that were available to him (surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy) but we were told two years ago there was nothing more the NHS could do for him and he’d have only a few months left to live.
We decided to start him on a Ketogenic Diet and a (legal) cannabis compound called Cannabidiol (CBD) – six months later, not only was William alive but his tumour had shrank by two thirds. Two years on and so far he’s doing well. We even persuaded our consultant to write a research proposal into Cannabidiol and helped fund it which is going on right now!
I’m not sure why but I’ve never shared these images before – here they are… MRI’s taken six months apart – the first being taken just before we started the Diet and CBD and the second showing the two third reduction.
So, why the campaign?
So many reasons…
- Because it’s not available on the NHS, many parents won’t even think about using it “if I can’t get it prescribed then it can’t possibly work“
- Those parents who do want to use it for their child are currently unable to obtain any form of cannabis oil, the quality of which they can trust unless they go private and pay an extremely high price
- There is much evidence to suggest that the currently illegal elements of cannabis can also kill cancer cells i.e. Tetrahydrocannabinol
- I’m personally aware of at least two research institutions which won’t research the illegal element of cannabis due to it’s legal status – hopefully a change in the law will help…
- If the social stigma is lifted then more research can hopefully be carried out which could then lead to clinical trials and definitive proof as to whether cannabis compounds can kill cancer cells in the human body and not just in the laboratory
So if you haven’t already signed ad shared the petition, please do so by clicking here – in the light of everything that’s currently going on with Cannabis Oil in the press right now, I’ll be meeting my MP on Friday to ask him to have childhood cancers listed as diseases cannabis can be prescribed medicinally for and the more signatures we have, the more I hope he’ll listen…